There’s nothing like being smack-dab in the middle of a drought to make you appreciate the blessings of abundant water, right?
Yep, the water situation here in California is serious. Our reservoirs are dry and our groundwater supply is compromised.
Things don’t look good.
But..as bad as things look in California, people living in thirsty countries all over the world experience far worse. Finding clean drinking water is a daily struggle for many people living in developing countries. There is no quick or easy fix for this, but we can join with others this Saturday to acknowledge the importance of clean, accessible water for all people and make a commitment to do our part to make sure the problem doesn’t get worse.
This morning, I spoke to Walk4Water event organizer Shirley Adams to get some last minute instructions for this year’s walk.
Here’s the scoop:
- The walk begins at Bidwell Park’s 1-Mile Recreation Area. You can choose to walk either the 2K (1.2 mile) or 5K (3.1 mile) walk through the Park
- The walk begins at 8:30 BUT GET THERE EARLY, especially if you are planning to register on the morning of the walk. There were more than 600 walkers last year, so it gets a little crazy at the registration tables.
- Better yet, register online at Walk 4 Water. Then pick up your registration packet on Friday from 3:00 – 6:00 at Beatniks (1387 E 8th St, Chico) and save yourself a wait in line on Saturday morning.
- You’ll donate $20 to participate in the event AND you can coerce (um…encourage) others to sponsor you. Download your Pledge Sheet and get busy. There are fabulous prizes for the walkers who get the most pledges. You’ll turn in your pledge sheets and donations on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning when you pick up your other goodies
- You’ll need a bucket for the walk. If you register online and pick up your packet on Friday, you might just score a FREE Walk 4 Water bucket. If they run out by the time you get there, bring your own bucket to the walk. Shirley says any size bucket will do.
- For those of you from Grace who have registered and are among the first 30 to “Comment” here on the Co*Missioned Website or Facebook page, meet me at the 1-Mile bridge at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday so I can give you your free Co*Missioned t-shirt. I want to get some pics of the Grace Sisters in our matching shirts (Between you and me….there may also be donuts).
It’s not too late to register…
Let’s do this together.